[ale] Windows crashes L.A. Airport

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Sep 22 08:47:02 EDT 2004

Jonathan Rickman wrote:

>>This happened after an [downgrade] from Unix to Windows. I
>>don't think blame should be assigned to the technician who
>>missed the task; rather, it seems a gross oversight for the
>>FAA to guarantee that such a critical system will crash after
>>only one missed maintenance task. Who's really at fault?"
>>[My Linux firewall has been up for about 500 days.  Many
>>suspect that the recent Northeast blackout was caused by a
>>Windows virus.
>

> In all fairness to Microsoft, the cause of the crash was apparently a poorly
> written application, rather than Windows itself.

I've not read the article, but I'll also submit that Windows is a lot
more likely to crash because of a 'poorly written application' then any
other OS I've ever worked with.  Generally, the application crashes, not
the whole OS. YMMV

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995