[ale] Windows crashes L.A. Airport

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Sep 22 00:45:43 EDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Bob Toxen wrote:

> >From Slashdot...
> Posted by michael on Tuesday September 21, @05:48PM
> <<snip>>
> This happened after an [downgrade] from Unix to Windows. I don't think
> blame should be assigned to the technician who missed the task; rather,
> it seems a gross oversight for the FAA to guarantee that such a critical
> system will crash after only one missed maintenance task. Who's really
> at fault?"  [My Linux firewall has been up for about 500 days.  Many
> suspect that the recent Northeast blackout was caused by a Windows virus.]

Two questions, which I doubt I'll see adequately addressed. First - since
MS doesn't to my knowledge certify the use of Windows in situations where
human safety may be jepardized, why was Windows2000 used at all? Second -
what was the backup system that also failed?

<<sigh>> The Feds will probably claim they need to classify this and other
information "Top Secret" to protect us from terrorists and other evil
doers (like the taxpayer?? hmmm???).