[ale] Firefox & IE ... yada yada yada

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Tue Sep 21 19:11:58 EDT 2004

> Secondly, IE and XP are TWO different applications.  There is no
> separate distribution of IE between different Windows versions.  There
> are underlying dll differences, but I didn't ask about removing dlls.
> Rundll can be a similar hazard, however it isn't as wide a hazard as
> iexplore.
>
> You are wrong when you say they can't be realistically separate, I now
> have 2 systems right now with NO iexplore.exe on them and XP and Win2k
> are both still running, even after reboots.  My original question was
> presented to see if others had run into any problems.  The only one so
> far is with other applications that use OLE,etc to display HTML (Norton
> Anti-Virus 2005 for example).

My impression was that it is the libraries and other core components
that IE uses, rather than IE itself (as a rule) which are insecure.
Microsoft itself has made a big deal of how the OS and IE are
intricately aligned -- a certain antitrust case comes to mind.

And methinks you're coming across as a bit of an ass, Jim... people are
only trying to help, and you're asking about Windows security in a
Linux forum.  What kind of response were you expecting?  Or is this an
effort to troll?

--George