[ale] [OT] Unix Admin Job Posting in Hawaii

fgz fzamenski at voyager.net
Sun Sep 19 14:15:39 EDT 2004

> On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 10:48, fgz wrote:
>
> > I'd first find out if 13,000+ feet means STN is located on an
active
> > volcanic mountain. In which case s/cool/hot. ;)
>
> The active volcano is much lower and on a complete different
> "mountain".   STN is quite cool... fur lined jackets are not
uncommon.

There are two active volcanoes:

http://www.pacificislandtravel.com/hawaii/about_destin/parks_volcanoesnp
.html

"Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, on the "Big Island" of Hawaii, offers
the visitor a look at two of the world's most active volcanoes: Kilauea
and Mauna Loa.

More than 4,000 feet high and still growing, Kilauea abuts the
southeastern slope of the older and much larger Mauna Loa, or "long
mountain." Mauna Loa towers some 13,677 feet above the sea: Measured
from its base 18,000 feet below sea level, it exceeds Mount Everest in
height. Mauna Loa's gently sloping bulk--some 10,000 cubic miles in
volume--makes it the planet's most massive single mountain."

Of course, the original comment was made tongue in cheek. Sorta. :) STN
may be on a dormant volcanic mountain, but hey, it's Hawaii, the entire
island is on the seismically active mid-Pacific ridge (ah yes, plate
tectonics), so 'dormant' mostly just makes us feel better about
building telescopes on it! ;)