[ale] VNC viewers for linux

Jonathan Rickman jdr at xcorps.net
Sat Sep 18 12:17:50 EDT 2004

That might very well be the best solution on a LAN, but ICA, RDP, and VNC
work well across slow links, where X is barely even functional over anything
less than a T1, and it is quite painful even at that speed. RDP and VNC are
quite pleasant to use at 56k with RDP having a significant edge, and ICA can
run over as little as 19,200bps using a cell phone as a connection device. I
suspect that Red Hat and Suse are working dilligently behind the scenes to
bring VNC up to this level, as it would have a significant impact on the
acceptance of their enterprise product lines. It is really just a matter of
time, but in the interim, I refuse to struggle with inferior technology in a
production environment. My use of VNC consists of managing one Windows
desktop connected over a VPN, and that's only because we had no intention of
buying pcAnywhere just for one machine since we had no need for file
transfers, remote device mapping, and all the other features present with
other solutions.

--
Jonathan