[ale] VNC viewers for linux

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Sat Sep 18 08:41:07 EDT 2004

I'm fairly disappointed with the vnc viewer I've been using.  It's the one
that came with tighvnc, which I think is based on the original vnc package.
Here are my complaints:
1) there doesn't seem to be a way to switch between full screen and not
fullscreen (that I can find)
2) When I pop up the "F8 menu", there's no keyboard access.
3) switchting to full screen has known problems.
4) I often have 'scrolling problems' when the remote 'screen' is larger than
my local one.

Now, I've been using rdesktop for some months to access a windows box
remotely.   As a client, it seems to work much better than VNC, suffering
only the fundamental problem that rdesktop only talks to Windows boxen.

This leads me to ask the question, "are there other vnc viewers for linux that
do are better than the standard one?"

VNC projects seem to be "scattered", is there a recommend place to discuss/ask
this that will get most of the VNC developer community?  I've got some other
ideas/features I'd like to propose....

David