[ale] Redundant File Servers

Kevin O'Neill Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 22:44:59 EDT 2004

After some more reading it seems that the OpenGFS project
is more along the lines of what I was looking for.

Redhat seems to think the world of their port but if you
read the author's notes he spends some time pointing out
its short comings.

--- "James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> B machine. HA only work as long as there is failover
> capability.
> Headshot HA requires a fast reboot process with a good
> amount of logic
> in the HA startup.
>
> Note also, HA really only works best as a read-only
> service. Unless all
> nodes are active and there is a separate synch process
> from the writes.
>
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 13:42, Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> > Read up on split-brain syndrome.
> > This happens when both servers think that the other one
> is dead
> > and access a shared storage device.
> > This can destroy a filesystem really, really fast.
> > Depending on your heartbeat solution this can happen as
> easily as
> > a server being to busy/low on memory,.. to send a
> heartbeat signal.
> > With a bad heartbeat solution your redundant server
> setup can
> > be less reliable then a single server.
> > A good solution is the "shoot them in the head"
> approach:
> > If server B thinks server A is dead -> B cuts the power
> to A.
> > Now B can be sure that A is dead ;-)
> >

> > On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 08:50, Kevin O'Neill Stoll wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have been doing some research about either:
> > > a failover pair of fileservers, possibly
> load-balanced
> > > across the pair
> > > or
> > > a high-availability load-balanced cluster of file
> servers
> > >
> > > I just wanted to know if anyone was already working
> with a
> > > particular setup or product that they have had
> success
> > > with. I have been doing all the basic reading /
> research
> > > that I can find via google, tldp, and linux-ha.org.
> > >
> > > I have already found OpenGFS, a Networked Raid 1 type
> > > setup, and supposedly RedHat's cluster management
> package
> > > has a solution available.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > =====
> > > Kevin Stoll
> > > http://kevinstoll.com/
> > >
> > > OpenSource Software...FREE!
> > > Angering Bill Gates...priceless.

> > !DSPAM:41472db2172307804616587!
> --
> James P. Kinney III          \Changing the mobile
> computing world/
> CEO & Director of Engineering \          one Linux user
>       /
> Local Net Solutions,LLC        \           at a time.
>      /
> 770-493-8244
> http://www.localnetsolutions.com

> <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>
> Fingerprint = 3C9E 6366 54FC A3FE BA4D 0659 6190 ADC3
> 829C 6CA7
>

> ATTACHMENT part 1.2 application/pgp-signature
name=signature.asc

=====