[ale] Redundant File Servers

Bob Toxen transam at cavu.com
Tue Sep 14 12:34:42 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 05:50:54AM -0700, Kevin O'Neill Stoll wrote:
> Hi all,

> I have been doing some research about either:
> a failover pair of fileservers, possibly load-balanced
> across the pair
> or
> a high-availability load-balanced cluster of file servers

> I just wanted to know if anyone was already working with a
> particular setup or product that they have had success
> with. I have been doing all the basic reading / research
> that I can find via google, tldp, and linux-ha.org.
I've developed and deployed failover software that would provide what
you're looking for.  Unlike most failover "heartbeat" software that
cannot detect a "sick" but not crashed system, mine is very good at
detecting even sick systems and successfully failing over.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

> I have already found OpenGFS, a Networked Raid 1 type
> setup, and supposedly RedHat's cluster management package
> has a solution available.

> =====
> Kevin Stoll
> http://kevinstoll.com/

> OpenSource Software...FREE!
> Angering Bill Gates...priceless.

Best regards,

Bob Toxen, CTO
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.
"Your expert in Firewalls, Virus and Spam Filters, VPNs,
Network Monitoring, and Network Security consulting"
http://www.verysecurelinux.com       [Network & Linux/Unix Security Consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My 5* book: "Real World Linux Security"]
bob at verysecurelinux.com (e-mail)
+1 770-662-8321  (Office: 10am-6pm M-F US Eastern Time)

My recent talks on Linux security include:
  at IBM's Linux Competency Center in New York City     on Mar.  06   last year
  at the Atlanta SecureWorld Expo in Atlanta            on May   22   last year
  at the Enterprise Linux Forum in Silicon Valley       on June  04   last year
  at Computer Associates' Atlanta Linux Security Summit on Sep.  16   last year
  in Redbank, NJ                                        on Oct. 27-30 last year
  at Southeast Cybercrime Summit in Atlanta             on Mar.   4   2004
  at the FBI's Atlanta headquarters                     on Mar.  10   2004
  in Denver, CO                                         on Apr. 15-16 2004
  in Redbank, NJ                                        on May. 25-26 2004
  at the Atlanta SecureWorld Expo in Atlanta            on May   27   2004
  in Denver, CO                                         on Jul. 12-13 2004
  at Linux World SF signing at Prentice Hall's booth    on Aug.  03   2004
  in Denver, CO                                         on Sep. 27-28 2004

Author,
"Real World Linux Security: Intrusion Detection, Prevention, and Recovery"
2nd Ed., Prentice Hall, (C) 2003, 848 pages, ISBN: 0130464562
Also available in Japanese, Chinese, and Czech.

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke