[ale] OT: zip-100

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Mon Sep 13 11:20:26 EDT 2004

Uh, yeah sure. I typically use the serial zip disk readers, but I have
an internal drive (presently sitting on my workbench) which I've set up
before on  a debian system. The documentation you want is probably
available on your distro, but you can find the
most up-to-date version on the LDP (
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/ZIP-Drive.html ).

It's not too terribly difficult to set a ZIP drive up as its own thing
(like a CD ROM), so you can access it by saying things like "mount
/dev/zip /mnt/zip" et cetera. Making it actually look like a floppy (the
"A:" drive) to mtools(1) is probably not what you want to do, 'specially
since mtools already will see it as the "Z:" drive.  But if you're bound
& determined to do this there's probly a way once you can talk to it
from a command prompt.

I've also had fine luck using fdisk(8) and mkfs(8) to make my zip disks
ext2 format instead of the VFAT structure you get when you buy them.
This is more convenient if you're using them exclusively on linux boxen.

-- CHS