[ale] Fast NFS

Bob Toxen transam at cavu.com
Sun Sep 12 14:42:35 EDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 05:12:28PM -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Is tehre a way I can make sure my NFS server provides my clients top
> priority?  I'm using an ARM board and am nfs rooting it.  Every so often
> during heavy use I get nfs server not responding errors.  I need to
> place swap over NFS and so I do not need the kernel barfing.

As others have noted:

  1. Use UDP instead of TCP for performance but recognize that
     there is no security in this route and thus it is critical
     that NFS be used only on a private network with a *good*
     firewall in front.

  2. It appears that there is a memory problem, though if you're
     swapping across the network ...

Try mounting with the following options:

  async
  rsize=8192,wsize=8192
  udp
  timeout=x (try x of 100)

I disagree with the other poster that a small rsize and wsize will
improve the situation.  My analysis shows just the opposite.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"