[ale] Fwd: Mention LISA Conference

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Sep 9 16:47:16 EDT 2004

I think that this conference should be of interest to many of our members, and
I was asked so politely, so I'm forwarding it on the the list.

Subject: Mention LISA Conference at [ale] Meeting Tonight?
Date: Thursday 09 September 2004 01:47 pm
From: Peter Mui <pmui at usenix.org>
To: mhirsch at nubridges.com

Hi Michael:

We're holding our LISA (Large Installation System Administration)
conference in Atlanta this year: November 14-19.  Can you mention the
conference at the meeting?

See the online conference announcement below, Also, there are gif
buttons and a pdf flyer for the conference at:

http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa04/promote.html

Are there other mechanisms we can use to get the message out to your
membership?  We'd also like to spread the word in the greater Atlanta
area overall: are there other local groups (user groups, ACM chapters,
corporations, universities etc.) I should be trying to contact?

Or let me know if I'm being harassing.

Thanks for any reply, -Peter

Peter Mui
USENIX Association
2560 9th Street STE 215
Berkeley, CA 94710
510 528 8649 ext. 28
pmui at usenix.org

(cut here)
Register now for LISA, the 18th Annual Large Installation System
Administration conference at:
http://www.usenix.org/lisa04/progm

LISA comes to Atlanta November 14-19.  As always, the breadth and
quality of this years tutorials, refereed papers, invited talks, and
participants is excellent. Some highlights:

Professional TRAINING:  The biggest and best slate of tutorials we've
ever had: 36 instructors teaching 51 full-day and half-day tutorials,
30 of which are new.  Some quick examples:

o  John Sellens: System and Network Monitoring
o  David Rhoades: Securing Web-based Apps
o  Eric Allman: Advanced Sendmail
o  Rik Farrow: Thinking Like a Hacker
o  Peter Baer Galvin: Advanced Solaris Administration
o  James Mauro and Richard McDougall: Solaris Kernel Performance,
Observeability, and Debugging

PAPERS and INVITED TALKS: luminaries such as Joshua Goodman, Esther
Filderman, Gerald Carter and Yi-Mon Wang will present cutting-edge
issues in topics such as:

o  Looking at both symptom and state information for configuration
faults
o  Biology and Informatics for System Adminstrators
o  Electronic Presidential Campaigning and the lessons learned
o  How spammers are circumventing Bayesian filtering
o  Information Security Laws
o  Grid Computing

Birds-of-a-Feather sessions and Work-in-Progress reports give you a
preview of next year's news, or present fledgling work of your own and
get feedback from the audience.

Single- and multi-day registration options let you attend for
one day or several.  Register by October 22 and save up to $300.

WHAT:   LISA - the 18th Large Installation System Administration
Conference
WHEN:  November 14-19, 2004
WHERE:  Atlanta, GA: Atlanta Marriott Marquis
WHO:    System Administrators, Network Administrators, CIOs, CTOs,
                Researchers, Tool Providers, Support and Help Desk
personnel, etc.
WHY:    To get to and stay on the cutting edge of computer system
administration
HOW:    http://www.usenix.org/lisa04/progm

Begin forwarded message: