[ale] Re: Ale Digest, Vol 7, Issue 10

Grady Harris gharri2 at emory.edu
Wed Sep 8 18:05:06 EDT 2004

To tell the truth, I've only done enough LaTeX by hand to figure out what the
references to previous means meant, & to be able to discuss it with a
mathematician buddy who is helping me with a transcription where I'm using
MathML, which he hadn't heard of.

For PDFs, I've been using XSL-FO. The literature & implementations seem kind of
thin for a spec that's been a full recommendation some three years (though I
will probably figure that one out soon), but the mailing lists are active,
which is one of the reasons I coveted a gmail account--thank you, Sergio.

PDFs are the big thing where I work, in a medical library--so far, OpenOffice
has been about the only way to produce them from original work that I can
persuade somebody else to use (co-workers & patrons have an entirely reasonable
aversion to visible mark-up). Any suggestions for other Free/Open Source ways to
generate PDFs that do not involve a text editor?

Grady Harris

Quoting ale-request at ale.org: