[ale] How can I delete this file?

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Tue Sep 7 20:13:46 EDT 2004

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Bergeron <christopher at bergeron.com> writes:

    Christopher> I have a file named: ???@?A?B?????????????

    Christopher> (yep, thats the name of it)

    Christopher> Can anyone tell me how to delete it?  I've tried the
    Christopher> usual tricks, but with no adeu.

rm -i ./* # and make sure you only hit Y when you really mean it :)

Depending on your shell TAB-completion might be useful (at least zsh
would probably handle it gracefully :).

Also of interest may be `ls -b' or `ls -B':

     -B      Force printing of non-printable characters (as defined by
             ctype(3) and current locale settings) in file names as \xxx,
             where xxx is the numeric value of the character in octal.

[...]

     -b      As -B, but use C escape codes whenever possible.