[ale] What's so special about gmail invites?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Sep 7 14:18:30 EDT 2004

Jason Day wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 03:07:09PM +0000, runman at speedfactory.net wrote:
> [...]
>
>>However, when I send an
>>email to someone's gmail address - a "private" email - I shouldn't
>>have to worry about it being in the public domain
>

> Why not?  This is the point I've been trying to make since this thread
> started: email is not private or secure.  Period.  If it's a truly
> private email and you don't want anyone but the recipient looking at it,
> your only choice is to use encryption.  But even then, there's no
> guarantee.

I am not an idiot.  The point you are missing is that gmail's reason for
existing is NOT to provide an email service, but to get data via email
in order to provide a service to other companies.

There's huge difference in sending an email to an individual who is
using your run of the mill isp, verses sending an email to someone who's
email provider's focus is providing a service via those email messages
to third parties.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995