Fwd: Fwd: [ale] Miguel de Icaza and Mono?

Jonathan Rickman jdr at xcorps.net
Tue Sep 7 08:44:21 EDT 2004

> It doesn't, but I'd trust Sun a whole lot more then
> Microsoft.  Not that I trust Sun, but let's look at history
> shall we?

I wouldn't trust Sun AT ALL! They are on a sinking ship. Java is the only
thing they have that floats. Rather than just put the women and children on
it, they will all pile on and sink it too.

> Microsoft is well known for 'embrace and extend,'
> which is similar to what we are talking about.  The only
> difference is, they have a technology that's being
> implemented in open source.  All they have to do is tweek
> .NET a bit and it will break mono apps.

How so? A change to the .NET specification will not magically render code
written prior to it's publication unusable. Nor will a change to the .NET
framework cause Mono to suddenly stop working with that code. I know of at
least one company that is still pushing a FoxPro (not MS FoxPro, the
ORIGINAL FoxPro) application from a Novell 3 server. I know of another that
is still running NT 3.51 in production. The mere existence of Windows Server
2003 did not render it unbootable. One of the first linux based firewalls I
ever built is still humming away in the office of a concrete plant, running
a 2.0 series kernel. It will be replaced soon, but not because the release
of the 2.6 kernel caused it to stop working. They want to run URL filtering
now.

Jack and Tom each have $1000. They both put their money in different banks.
Jack's bank is totally trnsparent to him. His money just sits and collects
interest. Tom's bank decides to charge monthly service fees. Tom frowns and
pays the fees. Tom's bank then decides to convert all their money to Euros.
Tom takes his money to Jack's bank.

--
Jonathan "wishes IBM would buy Sun so we could all just move on" Rickman