[ale] Install Issues with my inspiron 8500

Jonathan Rickman jdr at xcorps.net
Mon Sep 6 17:01:27 EDT 2004

Check the MD5 sum on the ISO you downloaded and make sure the download was
complete. I downloaded FC2 disk 2 the other day, successfully I thought, and
burned the CD only to find missing packages. The packages were there, but
reported as 0 bytes in size. Downloaded via http with Firefox 0.8 on WinXP
and burned with Roxio on same. I'd seen this happen before with Bittorrent
downloads, so I picked up on it pretty quick. MD5 sum failed verification,
so I extracted the ISO to a folder with WinRAR and discovered that a number
of packages were 0 bytes in size. A fresh download took care of things.
Never seen any quirky drive problems on the 8500, and I have loaded RH9 and
Slackware on quite a few of them. If it is a problem with the drive, then as
you said, the DVD is the way to go unless you feel like performing a network
install.

--
Jonathan