[ale] OT - Unreal Tournament (not 2k4)

Matthew Magee mnmagee at juno.com
Fri Sep 3 19:13:39 EDT 2004

Geoffrey wrote:

> Nathan J. Underwood wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here play Unreal Tournament on Linux?  I've got a UT
>> server on Linux, but recently decided to try to actually play the
>> game on Linux.  The install went great, I'm at v436, installed Bonus
>> Pack 1, and I was ready to play.  When I fired up the game though, it
>> was running at a crawl.  The image looked really nice, it was just
>> very slow.  As an example, the intro movie was moving frame by
>> frame.  Below are the specs (that I know to look for) on the machine.
>

> Sounds like you might be missing hardware acceleration.  You really
> want the hardware acceleration if you want the fps.
>
> Look in your config file for:
>
> Section "Module"
> .
> .
> Load    "dri"
> .
> .
> EndSection
>
> and:
>
> Section "DRI"
>     Group    "video"
>     Mode    0660
> EndSection

I had no problems running UT GOTY on my machine at 1024x768.  (and higher!)

Although I can't back this statement up with any facts, I will say that
I found performance for anything multimedia on Fedora 1 or 2 to be
terrible.  I switched to Mandrake, and all is well with the games and
audio.  Must be some MM and preemption tweaks in the MDK supplied kernel???

If you really are using an accelerated driver, then we have a mystery on
our hands.  UT should fly on your box.

I was using:

Duron 750
256MB RAM (PC100)