[ale] What's so special about gmail invites?

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Fri Sep 3 16:57:10 EDT 2004

> > The tiny little point you're missing is that all this is true of email,
> > period.  s/Gmail/email/g on your rant. If you send me email, I can analyze
> > it however I want (and make no mistake; I, or my employers, or my providers,
> > do analyze it. The details of what and how depend upon which address of mine
> > you use, but I'll bet at least some of them you wouldn't like ;-).  If I
> > send you email, you can analyze it however you want. There's nothing
> > remotely unusual about gmail in this regard, other than that they (unlike
> > me) actually publish a cursory summary of what analysis they do.
>
> Do you sell the results of your analysis to a third party?

Whether any individual does or doesn't, the point is that they *could*, and you'd be
none the wiser.  Furthermore, I hardly see what your point is: Google claim that
they "will never sell, rent or share your personal information, including
your Gmail address or email content, with any third parties for marketing purposes
without your express permission.".  So what's the problem?

Apart from the fact that the sky is falling, of course..

--George
George Carless ... kafka at antichri.st
Words are just dust in deserts of sound