[ale] question about SAMBA and a windows program called ACT

Benjie Godfrey bgodfrey at layton-graphics.com
Fri Sep 3 16:03:32 EDT 2004

You will need to turn off opportunistic locking for the samba share that
has the ACT database file on it.  If you don't, you will eventually end
up with a corrupt ACT file.  I have seen that happen many times with ACT
and M$ Access.  Look for "oplocks" in the smb.conf man page.  You can
also google ACT + oplock for examples on how others have done this.

I think in samba 3 you may also have the ability to specify or veto
which files are exempt from oplocks based on regular expressions ( i.e.
veto oplock = *.mdb)

bye the way, are there anymore spare gmail invites up for grabs?

Benjie
--
"Time makes more converts than reason."

--Thomas Paine