[ale] question about SAMBA and a windows program called ACT

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Fri Sep 3 08:41:27 EDT 2004

Van,

	I've had mixed results with Samba and Win32 type 'database'
applications.  As far as just a repository to hold the data, I don't
think that you'll have any problems at all (I've had a LOT of luck using
Linux / Samba as a plain old file server for @in32 environments).  I
have ran into trouble with applications (specifically, Peachtree) where
the same file is being used (locked) by multiple people at the same
time.  Samba doesn't seem to have a problem with it, but the Win32 apps
do.  One other thing (you probably already know this, and I'm only
saying it to be complete).  With WinXP home, I don't believe you'll be
able to take advantage of using Linux as a PDC (i.e. single sign on).
It'll be more like a workgroup, with all of the password confusion
goodness that comes with workgroup computing.  Hope this helps.  I don't
know that I'll be a lot of help, but if you have any questions or get
stumped, I'd be happy to try.

--
registered linux user # 73046Van,

Nathan J. Underwood