[ale] System advice for a newbie

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Fri Oct 29 17:32:21 EDT 2004

2 months or so ago I priced out the cheapest box you could possibly get
brand new (Newegg came up with a lot of stuff) and the total price including
shipping was around $180. I used bargain bin stuff and still came up with a
processor somewhere around 1.4 GHz, either a quarter or half gig of RAM, a
40 GB HD, a NIC, a low end video card (still pretty fast compared to what I
am using on this box), a case w/ a power supply and a mobo.  Fry's has/had
some stuff that wasn't much more expensive as well & now and then
Microcenter has some good bargains.  I used a Microcenter box for my wife's
dual boot and I have used Monarch for other "bargain bin" boxen.  Take about
an hour of time to put together and you are done.  I haven't really had any
problems with any linux distros (in the past few years) and hardware.  These
days Linux seems to support about everything so I don't think you really
have much to worry about - but if you do have concerns then I second
Monarch.  You might want to call before going up there, as it can be a hike
if you live far away.

Dell has some astounding bargains now and then but I would only buy one if
you practically never would want to modify it in the future and it was a
business management ordered decision.  My last big name box was a Gateway
(233 MHz) and it had to have the mobo replaced, a ROM chip upgrade (had to
call the manufacturer - Gateway was of no use) and was overall a crappy box.
Needless to say, that was my ***last and never more *** big name new boxen
purchase.  I am pretty sure the quality has not improved through the many
years since.  Dell's customer non-support is in India so .....

I suggest you buy a big tower with a good power supply that you can modify
as your needs grow (mine always do).  You can always find help to put it
together (Monarch, ALE meetings, ALE list group, google the internet).
Isn't hard (just make sure the mobo doesn't contact the case in the back !!)
to put a pc together - really.

Good luck,

Greg