[ale] vonage service

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Oct 28 20:27:39 EDT 2004

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 19:10, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Jim Philips wrote:

>>>Oohh! This sounds like a golden opportunity to set up Asterisk, the open
>>>source PBX.
>>
>>I just received my 'compatible' modem today!
>

> Details?!?!

Well, I don't have much.  Whenever the original post was made, there was
a link to specific hardware modems.  So I thought.  Anyway, I ordered
one.  Now looking at the asterisk page, I don't see references to such
hardware.  I'm now trying to figure out why I purchased said modem. :)

Anyway, I've downloaded asterisk and will be building it shortly.

> I'm looking at ditching HellSouth for phone. We have a new 6Mb/768kb
> "naked" DSL from Speakeasy arriving tomorrow. I've been looking at
> Vonage plus Asterisk plus some wiring and cell phones. Vonage already
> does a lot of what Astersk does (call forwarding, call transfer, pbx
> stuff), but Asterisk does a lot more. I'm also looking at the 4 port xo
> card from Asterisks sponsor company to provide basic analog phone
> service.

I'm going to look into naked dsl as well.  I've already dumped my
business line for voip, and it is sweet.

Next I'll get another voip line and drop my current BellSouth service to
the minimum just to support my dsl, until I can see about a naked dsl,
hopefully over my existing unused business line.

--
Until later, Geoffrey