[ale] DNS problems with comcast, anyone?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 20:05:37 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 09:02 -0400, Yu, Jerry wrote:
>  a week ago or two, the IP assigned to my connection was changed from 24.*
> to 69.*. This indicates comcast did some network reconfiguration on their
> end. Not sure whether the IP # for pop3 server or alike experienced similar
> changes.

That happens to me a lot, I've been a 24.* and a 69.* a few times each.
This usually happens after I change gear connected to the RF cable.  I
suspect that there is only two dhcp servers in the metro Atlanta area
(St Mtn and Vinings).  I'm not sure if one gives out 24.* and the other
69.* or if they split/share portions of each.  I suppose that it's
possible there could be one master dhcp server... but that would be, at
best, idiotic.  Afaik, pop/smpt/dns hasn't changed since attbb took over
from m1.

-Jim P.