[ale] Business opportunity...

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Oct 27 11:10:32 EDT 2004

Many startups do not have the cash to pay salaries or consulting fees.
In my company I do take a salary but at less than what I was previously
making. The difference it made up in equity.  When someone has equity in
a company they value that company more.  I see it in the way I behave vs
the way our 100% salaried employees behave.

There is nothing wrong with sweat equity.  Just make sure that documents
are drawn up in the beginning that describes your percentage of
ownership in that company.  You do not want your equity to be lost due
to someone there that has control that is not capable of making the
business last.  If you are going to get sweat equity then you basically
become a director and you have a vote in what goes on. You are a part
owner.