[ale] Ximian Connector and Active Directory

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed Oct 27 09:49:32 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 05:01 pm, Keith Hopkins wrote:
> John Wells wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > Anyone successfully using Ximian's Connector with Evolution to access a
> > Global Address List with Active Directory?  If so, please reply.  I could
> > use confirmation that others actually have it working and may solicit
> > some config advice.
>
> "ping pong"
>
>    I have it working with the 1.4 version of Evo.  I don't like Evo for
> e-mail (using Moz most of the time), but when I get a calendar/meeting
> update, I pop into Evo.
>
>    Connector is setup with a Global Catalog Server (for AD), and it 'works'
> but is very very slow (esp on the first lookup), often appearing to hang
> (but isn't really).

Zowie!  With that hint I went in and setup up my catalog lookup.  I thought
that setting up connector for email was all I needed to do, but I was wrong.

So I went in and added a new Directory Server.   I told it to use
distinguished name which for me was the same name I use for all the MS things
like web mail (workgroup\username, or "numethods\mhirsch" in my case).
Nothing worked until I changed the Search Scope on the Searching options tab
to "Sub".  Then it started working and working well.

Yee haw.

So, to reanswer John's original question:  Yes, I use Ximian's Connector with
Evolution to access a Global Address List with Active Directory all the time.
I've been doing it for at least 5 minutes, now.

Michael