[ale] RPM command line help

Yu, Jerry Jerry.Yu at Voicecom.com
Tue Oct 26 16:23:33 EDT 2004

# to convert the RPM to a CPIO then list/extract with CPIO command
rpm2cpio blah.rpm | cpio -itv "*importantFileHere*"

# to see which file is inside an rpm
rpm -qlp blah.rpm

# -----Original Message-----
# From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org]On Behalf Of
# Dow_Hurst
# Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 3:49 PM
# To: ale at ale.org
# Subject: [ale] RPM command line help
#
# I want to install an older glibc from SuSE 9.0 into my SuSE
# 9.1.  Here is the command line I think will keep it from
# screwing up my current system:
#
# rpm -ivvvh --test --relocate /etc=/opt/lib --relocate
# /lib=/opt/lib --relocate /sbin=/opt/lib --relocate
# /usr=/opt/lib --badreloc --oldpackage --noscripts
# /home/dhurst/SuSE_rpms/glibc-2.3.2-92.i586.rpm
#
# What I want is for it to install all the files in the rpm
# into /opt/lib.  I don't see how to extract just the single
# file I want out of the rpm.  Any problems with what I want to
# do?  I don't want the rpm to do symlinks in my regular system
# files either.
# Dow
#
#
# _______________________________
# Dow Hurst, Research Scientist
# Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
# 435 New Science Building
# PO Box 26170
# University of North Carolina at Greensboro
# Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
# 336-334-5333 Temporary Office
# 336-334-5402 Fax
# Ale mailing list