[ale] tls vxs i686 libs

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Tue Oct 26 09:41:52 EDT 2004

Dow Hurst wrote:
> What does the /lib/tls/ contain?  What is different between the
> /lib/i686 and /lib/tls directories?  Does tls stand for threaded?
> Dow

At first I confused it with TSL (Trusted Systems), then I saw it part of glibc, so I started poking around and found:

Thread-local storage (TLS) is a mechanism by which variables are allocated such that there is one instance of the variable per extant thread.  The run-time model GCC uses to implement this originates in the IA-64 processor-specific ABI, but has since been migrated to other processors as well.  It requires significant support from the linker (`ld'), dynamic linker (`ld.so'), and system libraries (`libc.so' and `libpthread.so'), so it is not available everywhere.

from gcc.info,  Extensions to the C Language Family ( GCC version 3.3.5. )