[ale] OT: Copying a complete hard drive

John Wells lists at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Oct 19 13:49:01 EDT 2004

Calvin Harrigan said:
> I've been reading through this thread and then it occurred to me, are
you planning on running that XP installation on the laptop?  Even when
you get the install transferred, will XP work?  Isn't XP tied to several
pieces of hardware serial numbers?  If you change those pieces doesn't
it crap out or at the very least force you to re-register or something?
Just something to think about/verify.

I'm uncertain how it will do.  The laptop is a Pentium 4...the source
machine is an AMD Athlon 2200XP+.  I'm more worried about drivers, etc.  I
can always call and re-register it, if needed.  I've only re-registered it
once before, and I think you have a certain number (5?) of times to do it.