[ale] teaching opportunity

Yu, Jerry Jerry.Yu at Voicecom.com
Tue Oct 19 12:08:21 EDT 2004

you said it, George.

# -----Original Message-----
# From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org]On Behalf Of
# George Carless
# Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 11:57 AM
# To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
# Subject: Re: [ale] teaching opportunity
#
# On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:30:14AM -0400, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:
# > I believe we have effectively run off the teacher
# lady...... I say we give the job
# > to the senior in high school.
#
# Unfortunately, while I understand the rationale behind the
# given, I think that this list came across as rather arrogant
# and overbearing.
# Result: another person put off running Linux, and upset by
# the Linux community.
# There might well be good reasons for running the course on a
# Windows platform - say,
# because the training centre wasn't currently geared up for
# running Linux, or because
# some element of what they have in place for training
# currently requires Linux
# software.  Either way, it can be useful to move people
# towards free software - PHP,
# MySQL, etc. - on a gradual basis, and it's not necessarily
# essential or even
# advisable to introduce people to these things on a platform
# that is alien to them.
# And I would suggest that the individual was likely looking
# for an instructor to set
# at least part of the curriculum, so while the description of
# the course may have been
# ambitious and perhaps inaccurate, this was hardly a reason
# for an all-out offensive.
#
# In short, I think that some of you have simply succeeded in
# coming across as rather
# immature elitists who would prefer an argument to a
# constructive effort to actually
# move people over to using free software.  Ms. Bell repeatedly
# indicated that further
# discussion could take place off-list with any interested
# parties, and I honestly
# cannot blame her if she didn't want to get embroiled in a
# flamewar on some frankly
# rather pedantic points.
#
# --George
# George Carless ... kafka at antichri.st
# Words are just dust in deserts of sound
# Ale mailing list
# Ale at ale.org