[ale] OT: Copying a complete hard drive

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Tue Oct 19 08:29:01 EDT 2004

You could also use partimg, but you may need a 3rd machine as a storage
area for the resulting image.

Boot to Knoppix on the desktop with the XP install.  Start partimg, and
'image' that drive to a file (don't recall if there's an option to image
to another drive, but if there is, I've not tried it).  Once that's
complete, boot to Knoppix on the laptop, and choose the reverse (image
the hard drive from the image file).  We're currently experimenting with
this at work and it works pretty good.  We used to use Ghost (at a
former employer), but there's no funding for it here.  Partimg seems
slower, but it seems to work, and it's free.  Plus, if you have nic's
that can boot to the LAN, a Knoppix terminal server will remove the need
to tote the Knoppix CD around with you (just boot to the network on the
target machine(s)).

--
registered linux user # 73046

Nathan J. Underwood