[ale] linksys G pcmcia question

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 18 14:07:23 EDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:16:31AM -0400, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:
> 1.  NDIS wrapper based upon an article at LinuxElectrons "Getting your wireless NIC working with the NDIS wrapper device driver".  I faithfully performed a ndiswrapper -i bcmw15.inf.  The inf files came from my windows CD.  Those files matched the donloaded driver zip file which is a zipped version of my CD.  Performing an NDIS -l showed the files.... modprobe ndiswrapper did not show anything in the dmesg log..... iwconfig produced "no wireless" messages....

I got my linksys wpc54g card to work with ndiswrapper, but it took a bit
of work.  My wife already had a wpc54g card, so I tried getting that to
work in my laptop first.  After some trial and error I got it working,
so I thought it would be easier and safer to buy the same brand and
model card.  What I found out though, is that there are different
(chipset? firmware?) revisions for the same card model.  And of course,
my new card wouldn't work.

I was able to figure it out eventually.  It turns out there were two inf
files on the windows CD.  One inf file worked with my wife's card, the
other worked with my card.  So, check your windows CD and see if there
is another inf file on it.  If there is, try installing it with
ndiswrapper -i, then use ndiswrapper -l to see if it detects the
hardware.  Alternatively, go to linksys's web site and download the
driver for your card.  Make sure to get the revision number from the
back of the network card.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9