[ale] OT: Google desktop search

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Thu Oct 14 20:45:10 EDT 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 08:05 pm, Greg wrote:
> Yes, but let's read the fine print.  It just sounds too good to be true.
>
> from the Google Desktop Search Terms and Conditions:
>
> 	Consent to Collect Non-Personal Information
> 	Google Desktop Search may collect certain non-personally identifiable
> information that resides on your computer, including, without limitation,
> the number of searches you do and the time it takes to see your results.
> Unless you choose to opt out, either during installation or at any time
> after installation, non-personal information collected will be sent to
> Google. This information will be used by Google only for purposes of
> operating and improving future versions of Google Desktop Search and will
> not be disclosed to any third party or used for any purpose other than as
> described in this agreement. To learn more, please read the Privacy Policy
> located at desktop.google.com/privacypolicy.html.
>
> 	Changes to Terms and Conditions
> 	Google reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions from time
> to time in its sole discretion, without notice or liability to you. You
> agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, as modified. Please review
> the most current version of the Terms and Conditions from time to time,
> located at desktop.google.com/eula.html (or such successor URL as Google
> may provide), so that you will be apprised of any changes.
>
> 	Great - so now I need to check their website on a regular basis to see if
> they have turned more ..err evil...
>
> 	Although they say you can disable it, they also say it calls home every so
> often to see if there is an upgrade available and it then transmits info at
> that time.  "Additionally, when Google Desktop Search automatically checks
> to see if a new version is available, the current version number and the
> unique application number are sent to Google." and just in case you tried
> to mess with your "unique application number" -  "The unique application
> number is required for Google Desktop Search to work and cannot be
> disabled".
>
> 	hmmm ... after a no spy ware law finally gets passed by congress do I want
> Google on my PC ???
>
> 	I *could* really use a search app for all of the crazy stuff I have but I
> don't know ...  I will have to make sure I can disable it from calling
> home. I'll have to think about it.  However I am sure it wouldn't be too
> hard to beat MS's search feature.
>
> 	Greg

I share your concerns. we are always being offered some treat that will tempt
us to give up a little more of our privacy. They do force you to go through
the preferences screen and make it clear that you have a choice on what to
share. And If you're using ZoneAlarm in Windows, I think you can just prevent
it from "phoning home".