[ale] [OT] Is the Squeak license an OSS license?

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Oct 14 19:55:48 EDT 2004

[...]

    Michael> It does look okay, doesn't it.  Except for the business
    Michael> about not being able to change the fonts.  Since
    Michael> typefaces cannot be copyrighted, whether the fonts can be
    Michael> protected in any way it not clear to me.

IANAL, of course:

Typefaces can't be, but a particular software implementation which
produces a font can be.  No one can stop you from making your own
"Hirschvetica" TTF (or Type 1) font which looks just like Helvetica,
but Adobe or Linotype can certainly go after you if you distribute
their Helvetica TTF without their permission.  The fonts in question
in the Squeak distribution were given special dispensation by the
copyright owners to be distributed as part of Squeak.  This is similar
to the situation with some of the fonts Ghostscript ships with, I
believe.

The comp.fonts FAQ covers the legal issues surrounding fonts in much
more detail and provides references to where to find out more as well.