[ale] Code Of Ethics OS

Thu Oct 14 13:01:26 EDT 2004

Geoffrey wrote:

> James P. Kinney III wrote:
>
>> I'm glad I'm not in your shoes!!  What he is asking for is just short of
>> a Geek Constitution.
>

> It's written.  Check out the gnu manifesto..
>
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html

Geoffrey,

I spoke to the department chair specifically about Stallman's ideas and
he told me what I thought he will say: Stallman's ideas might be a
little too radical in "free software" and because Stallman stresses
"free software" more than the "open source" idea. I chose to produce the
ethics of open source rather than free software since Linus and other
prominent OS advocates have moved away from Stallman and "free software".
I believe that Linux now falls under the category of "open source" and
not "free software".

Emil