[ale] Code Of Ethics OS

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Oct 14 12:55:16 EDT 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 12:02 pm, Emil P. Man wrote:
> ALErs.
>
> My department chair here at KSU would like the Linux Users Group along
> with other student organizations to produce a code of ethics that
> complies with the beliefs of our organization. I have googled this
> topic, Code of Ethics in Open Source however, I was unsuccesful in
> finding anything pertinent. Here is my predicament: Code of ethics for
> other computer industry groups do not necesarrily fallow the views of
> open source, or they need to be more specific in regards to open source
> software and our beliefs as a community.
>
> I might be forced here to grab things from here and there and just put
> something together from scratch.
>
> Do you guys have any resources that you have found helpful?

I recommend reading this article on parallels between Boy Scout and FLOSS
ethical principles: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7533

In particular I'm thinking of the 2nd paragraph:
Schools should teach students ways of living that benefit society as a whole.
The most fundamental mission of schools is to teach people to be good
citizens and good neighbors--to cooperate with others who need their help
[1]. The real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other
people. To leave this world a little better than you found it [2]. Teaching
the students to participate in a community, is a hands-on civics lesson. It
also teaches students the role model of public service [1]. Happiness is the
result of active work rather than passive enjoyment of pleasure [3]. So,
let's teach concepts, not applications ... let's try to teach boys how to use
tools to think [4]. The secret of sound education is to get each pupil to
learn for himself, instead of instructing him by driving knowledge into him
on a stereotyped system [5]. When appropriate, it is necessary to give
students real skills, not only "directions for use" [6]. We want to get them
all along through cheery self-development from within and not through the
imposition of formal instruction from without [7]. The common thread in each
project must be the ability of collaboration, to greatly enhance learning
opportunities [8]. The boy, while working in co-operation with the others, is
responsible for his own separate part of the job [9].

These are alternately quotes from Stallman and the founder of the Boy Scouts.
There are references at the end that might be helpful.

Michael