[ale] IDE drive partition table problem

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 12 10:19:57 EDT 2004

I had a Dell Precision workstation with RH9 on it.  It came with a
second 80Gb hard drive.  I used that drive to backup a bunch of data.
Later, I added a 160Gb drive to the machine.  The 80Gb came preformatted
with an ext3 filesystem.  I let RH9 format the 160Gb drive with ext3.
The 160Gb drive was used to backup the data on the 80Gb drive.

So, now I have a SuSE9.1 install on a separate generic machine.  I've
attached both drives to the machine and found that both drives act
weird, like there is no filesystem on there.  The partition table on
both drives seems unreadable by fdisk and partd.  What is going on?  I
would like to access the data on the 80Gb drive.  I've decided already
to use the 160Gb in a RAID-5 array so that isn't available for testing
anymore.  It was very strange though.  Partd had to rewrite the
partition table before it could deal with the drive at all.  I tried
using ext2.fsck before doing that just in case I could get to a
superblock but to no avail.  What am I missing here?  How should I
approach dealing with the 80Gb drive that I'd like to get mounted
properly and read the data off of?  I can dd the drive but my real
question is, what kind of magic foofoo dust did RH9 use to put a
unreadable partition table on the drive so the filesystem can't be
accessed?  Since it is both drives that came from the same machine, and
I used both extensively with no problems, I don't think there is a disk
hardware problem here.  I can put the drive in my machine here at home
running SuSE9.0 and using a 2.4 kernel similar to RH9 instead of a 2.6
kernel.  I can run whatever tests and commands are recommended.  Thanks
for your time,
Dow