[ale] Slackware to drop Gnome?

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Mon Oct 11 19:15:12 EDT 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 07:10 am, Geoffrey wrote:

> > That doesn't follow for me at all. KDE has made it easy for any user to
> > customize KDE to the nth degree. And most of the customizations that are
> > so easy in KDE are difficult or impossible in Gnome. In fact, Gnome
> > developers have cut off these options as a matter of philosophy, thinking
> > they make Gnome easier to support (although I wouldn't bet on it). And
> > there are many minor improvements that can be introducted into KDE
> > through the use of kparts and DCOP scripts. When the improvement shows
> > its worth, it gets adopted by KDE core. I don't know of an equivalent in
> > Gnome.
> >
> > So, as a Slackware user, I'm supposed to be drawn more to a windowing
> > environment that is more of a black box?
>
> Your examples highlight my point.  That being, my view of the average
> slack user is a minimalist, thus the functionality you speak of in KDE
> is not something they look for.

Well, people come to Slackware for different reasons. I don't want the distro
to get in the way of my choices. Fedora and RedHat are built out with Gnome
in mind. So much so, that there is a whole project on Sourceforge to provide
"pure" KDE in rpm format for people who don't want the mangled version from
RedHat. You can take Slack wherever you want to go with it and it won't get
in your way. Even if Patrick leaves Gnome out of the next release, Slack
users will still have Dropline Gnome. But I will never like the idea of
somebody shutting down customization options for me and that is what Gnome
does. When people say they don't like the "look" of KDE, I'm puzzled. Because
you can make it look any way you want to. It's Gnome that makes that tricky.