[ale] Serial ATA install

Chris Egolf cegolf at ugholf.net
Mon Oct 11 16:14:38 EDT 2004

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I'm setting up a SATA install with FC2.  I have 2 disks that are setup
> in the SATA bios as RAID1.  In FC2 I see a /dev/hde and a /dev/hdg.  It
> appears that those are the two disks.  Should I ignore /dev/hdg?

Two things.  First, I don't think Linux/FC2 will recognize the RAID1 you setup
in BIOS.  Unless you have drivers or you know the linux kernel supports your
specific hardware RAID, linux will see your SATA drives as /dev/hde and
/dev/hdg.  I'm not aware of anyone who makes hardware SATA RAID controllers that
linux will use (maybe 3Ware?), and I'm pretty sure none of the onboard SATA RAID
controllers included with most motherboards will do it.  If you want mirroring
or striping, you'll need to use the Linux software RAID.

The second gotcha is something I ran into and haven't been able to find too much
info on it.  I setup my 2 SATA drives under Fedora Core 2 as a RAID-0 /dev/md0
device.  The install saw the drives as IDE drives like you described.
Everything worked fine, until I applied all the FC2 updated RPMs, which included
kernel updates.  Once I did that, the new version of the linux kernel saw the
SATA drives as SCSI, so they were /dev/sda and /dev/sdb respectively.  I think
the FC2 default kernel is 2.6.5-1 and the latest is 2.6.8-1.521.  I was able to
repair things by booting in maintenance mode and updating the /etc/fstab and
/etc/raidtab, but just be careful.

                                Chris Egolf
              http://www.ugholf.net     cegolf at ugholf.net