[ale] Slackware to drop Gnome?

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Mon Oct 11 06:44:00 EDT 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 05:37 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> John Wells wrote:
> > http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/10/218246&tid=131&tid
> >=190&tid=8&tid=106
> >
> > Funny...I've always been a big Gnome fan.  While KDE is admittedly nice,
> > I've always felt a little funny using it.  I think a big reason for this
> > is that GTK is truly free for both non-profit and commercial use, while
> > Qt is definitely not (and surprisingly overpriced, I might add).
> >
> > Anyone care to comment on why they use KDE rather than Gnome?
>
> I don't know.  I find it a bit surprising myself.  I would expect the
> average slack user would more likely be a gnome user then a kde user.
> Either that or command line. :)

That doesn't follow for me at all. KDE has made it easy for any user to
customize KDE to the nth degree. And most of the customizations that are so
easy in KDE are difficult or impossible in Gnome. In fact, Gnome developers
have cut off these options as a matter of philosophy, thinking they make
Gnome easier to support (although I wouldn't bet on it). And there are many
minor improvements that can be introducted into KDE through the use of kparts
and DCOP scripts. When the improvement shows its worth, it gets adopted by
KDE core. I don't know of an equivalent in Gnome.

So, as a Slackware user, I'm supposed to be drawn more to a windowing
environment that is more of a black box?