[ale] Slackware to drop Gnome?

Tejus Parikh tejus at vijedi.net
Sun Oct 10 22:39:10 EDT 2004

Even if the rumor is true and if Peter follows through on it, it's still
a non issue.  The fact is that currently, Peter doesn't ship the best
version of Gnome for Slackware, so it really won't be a gigantic loss to
the distro's users.

Dropline does such a fantastic job, I understand why Peter wouldn't want
to waste his own time on redundant work.  They really do a lot to make
Gnome look polished and work well with slack.  I've been really
impressed with it and felt that it made Gnome useful enough to switch me
and my wife off Enlightenment.  Granted some people might not like the
fact that they rename everything in the menus, but then again, I can
barely remember the names of my neighbors, much less than totem is a
movie player, and bmp is something besides an image format.

The only down side I can think of is that newbie users would just use
KDE, since it's installed by default, which might hurt the feelings of
Gnome zealots.  But then again, what's a newbie doing installing
slackware?