[ale] Video card recommendation

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Oct 7 20:32:03 EDT 2004

David Corbin wrote:
> I'm looking for video card.  Here are my requirements.
>
> Works well on X11 (modern).
> Hi-Res (1600x1200x16 bit minimum on one monitor, preferablly both).
> dual headed (two VGA connecters)
> I couldn't care less about 3D.  This is for a development desktop.
> Inexpensive :)
>
> Any suggestions (approximate prices appreciated with the recommendation).

Be careful when you choose.  Most dual output cards have a dvi and vga.
  There are two different types of dvi now out there.  I posted this
earlier, so check the archives.  Anyway, the older dvi cards you could
stick a converter on it and it would permit you to connect a vga monitor
to it.  The newer one will not permit this.  I found this out when I
purchase my last box.  The pinouts are a bit different, thus one type of
dvi will not fit the other.

Here's a link another aler provided that does a good job explaning the
difference.  Pay particular attention to the table at the bottom of the
page.

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/dvi-connections.asp

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995