[ale] for lefties only

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Oct 7 02:02:42 EDT 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 01:19, Jim Philips wrote:
> No, I'm not making a political rant. Some guy at kde-look.org has
>  come up with
> a hack to make all of your X cursors point from the left. It's a great idea
> and something that ought to be configurable. So, if you're a lefty, check
> out:
>
> http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=16782

Actually, this is a pretty logical idea, one I have used for 15+ years  on
another platform, a platform that shall remain nameless but whose initials
are A.M.I.G.A..  :-)

The prefs of those systems (since circa 1987) let users freely edit their
cursor graphics, including the "hot point" pixel.  I quickly put the feature
to use by making the mouse pointer arrow  face the same direction that
english reads, so that the pointer graphics didn't obstruct the text of my
menus or buttons

It has nothing to do with whether you are right handed or left handed or
ambidexterous or a cross-mouser like me (a right handed person who prefers
running the GUI with the left hand). Having the cursor point to the left is
simply more logical and practical when the interface language reads from the
left.

peace
(because the only secure nation is a nation at peace)
aaron