[ale] [OT] Dell Optiplex SX270 Motherboard Failure

Klepinger, Aaron Aaron.Klepinger at CompuCredit.com
Wed Oct 6 13:43:56 EDT 2004

Check out Smell Tech Support:
http://www.illwillpress.com/tech.html

Funny stuff!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Glass [mailto:jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 1:11 PM
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: [ale] [OT] Dell Optiplex SX270 Motherboard Failure

I had a Dell Optiplex SX 270 (small form factor..about the size of a box
of waffles) quit powering up.  Spent some time resetting the BIOS,
trying now power supplies (external), etc, etc.  My student worker
(CompE student) leaned over and pointed at a capacitor that had blown.
The thing had oozed out the top and fried, and no power was getting
anywhere.  The box is only 1 year old (under warranty), and has some of
the cleanest power on campus, so I can only assume that the parts used
were the cheapest available.

Called tech support, and the tech asked me "Have you tried a new
motherboard?".  I just had to laugh at her.

Anyway, I seemed to remember someone on this list bemoaning poor quality
components in computers, and now I can testify to it.

:(

Jonathan Glass

PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL  information that is intended only for use by
the   named recipient. If you are not the named recipient,  any disclosure,
dissemination, or action based on   the contents of this message is
prohibited. In such  case please notify us and destroy and delete all