[ale] OT: Where to purchase a Mac

Barry Hawkins barry at alltc.com
Mon Oct 4 14:12:22 EDT 2004

Fletch said:

> I bought my g4 from CompUSA (this was before the Northpoint Apple
> Store opened), but be prepared for them to try and push Apple Care on
> you hard.  If you're looking for cheap (well, relatively speaking :),
> check out eBay for someone local or the store.apple.com refurbs.

[...]

The refurbs are by far the best deal, but if one wants to "take it home,"
Apple Stores sometimes have returned items that they knock off a
percentage.  Also, you can sometimes save on your system through
AppleCare, since they will usually give it to you at a significant
discount if you do not seem to be interested and allow them to "persuade"
you.

I have personally gotten my money out of AppleCare.  For my PowerBook G4s,
it usually ended up being $250, and paid for itself in the life of the
machine.

Regards,
--
Barry Hawkins