[ale] OT: Where to purchase a Mac

Barry Hawkins barry at alltc.com
Mon Oct 4 12:48:40 EDT 2004

Mike Millson said:
> I need a box running Mac OS X for testing purposes. Where is the best
> place to purchase Mac equipment? Directly from Apple? Is there a Dell
> type company that sells Mac hardware? Is there such a thing as small,
> local independents that build and sell Mac systems? Where can I go
> locally to demo Mac systems?
>
> Any help/advice is appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Mike

Mike,
    For test driving a Mac, the Apple Store locations cannot be beat.  The
entire current product line is right there and hooked up to the
Internet.  There's one at Lenox Square[0] and one at North Point[1].
    There are Mac resellers, but by and large going through Apple is what
I do.  Only Apple builds Macs; I know that sounds wierd if you come
from an x86 world.  There is a link from the Apple store for refurb
equipment.  On the main page of the Apple Store site[2], look on the
right-hand side for a red sale tag and follow the link.  The equipment
has the same warranty as a non-refurb.  I knocked about US$600 off my
last PowerBook that way.
    What type of machine are you looking for?  If you want a deal on
portable, let me know off-list.  I have a 15" Aluminum PowerBook I am
getting ready to put on eBay.

[0] - http://www.apple.com/retail/lenoxsquare/
[1] - http://www.apple.com/retail/northpoint/
[2] - http://www.apple.com/store