[ale] X10 cameras and Linux

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Oct 4 09:41:58 EDT 2004

John Wells wrote:
> Geoffrey said:
>
>>I don't do x10 cams, I do wired cams connected to video capture cards.
>>If you have an interest in that approach, let me know.
>

> Geoffrey,
>
> I'd be very interested in learning your setup.  Type of cam, how you use
> it, etc.

Currently I have 4 cameras, although I've taken two down to replace them
with 'night vision' cameras.  I have a bw one that 'watches' my
driveway.  I will have one on each corner of my house.  I have one
inside that watches my dog in his room, a novelty for my daughter.

I use a package called motion to keep track of goings on from the
cameras.  Currently I have 4 capture cards, 3 which have a single bttv
based chip and single inputs.  The fourth has a single bttv chip with 4
inputs.  The best solutions would be multiple bttv chips, one for each
input, but they're kinda pricey.  Motion can cycle through multiple
cameras to keep track of motion.

I've also thrown together some scripts to start/stop and archive the images.

The two new cams I've got to put up, I picked up at Frys, although they
have a meager selection at compusa.  Both are indoor/outdoor.  One is by
a company named Swann, the other by Q-see.  Both have infra-red leds for
night vision, rated at 10 meters.

I prefer the capture card/rca based cameras because I've not had good
luck with usb based cameras.  I get better throughput.  That's not to
say you can't get a reasonable solution with usb, but I figure the
separate capture hardware is a better solution.

As long as you look for bttv based cards, you should be in pretty good
shape.  I have a link somewhere for a company that makes reasonably
priced capture cards, I'll see if I can locate it and post it.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995