[ale] SuSE bloated appearance

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Sun Oct 3 07:37:59 EDT 2004

On Saturday 02 October 2004 11:15 pm, fostermail at bellsouth.net wrote:
> I put Slackware on the Aptiva the guy across the street gave me, (to
> install w2k on, eventually, I determined, on 2/6G,) but since some kde and
> d-series tarballs were corrupt, and since [i couldn't find | had to study
> to install] grub on this 'ticket' on the install CD and onto the hdd,
>
> I decided, "hey, not my reader, or miles, just get my 'great unraveling,
> 'or' HW of Staggering Genius' and lay those SusE CD's on the thing, (which
> install GRUB on the rootpart'm, in order that my neighbor comfortably
> encounters the MS boot menu. [ linux.bin = 512b / ] BUT
>
> It is so sssssssslooow.
>
> can I wipe out the whole rc.d directory? What if I slap another drive in
> this unit,, install the cl slackware, and then overlay the entire /etc
> contents?

Even with Slackware, I pared down the rc.d directory to get faster startups.
As for KDE, the first run wizard gives you lots of ways to tweak things to
fit your CPU speed, RAM and video RAM capacity. I would hope SuSE hasn't
stripped the wizard from KDE. I have run recent versions of KDE on a PII
333mhz CPU with 128 megs of RAM and it was just fine (but slow for building
new apps). Plus, KDE 3.3 is faster than earlier versions.