[ale] Introduction

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Nov 30 20:45:02 EST 2004

Jason Fritcher wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to the Atlanta area and have been looking for a new LUG to
> join. I really liked what I saw on the website, so I joined the
> mailing list and thought I would introduce myself.

Welcome.  What part of town do you live in?  You do know that we have
three meetings a month, but the best one is the NW meeting...

> As the From line points out, my name is Jason Fritcher. I first
> started using Linux way back in late 94 with Yggdrasil then
> Slackware, but only tinkered with Linux for the next 4 or 5 years.

I've been tinkering with some flavor of Unix for 20+ years now. :)

> Then I got a job that required me to learn unix programming and my
> interest in Linux took off. In the last 5 years, I've used all the
> mainstream distros and have settled on liking Gentoo the best with
> Debian being a close second. :)

Well, there's still room to educate you then. :)  SuSE and Mandrake
here.  I use Red Hat on one box because my client says so.  I've just
finished installing Release 2 of the Sun Java Desktop and must say, I'm
not impressed.

> I'm currently a software engineer for Earthlink, doing mainly C and
> Java development with a little Perl thrown in to annoy me. :)

The dream job!  You're confused though, it's the Java that is annoying
you.  I mean come on, try subtracting a character from a character in
order to get the numeric difference.  C ? yes, Java, I don't think so..

> In my
> spare time, I'm learning C++ and Python, and tinkering with writing a
> toy OS.

C++ and Python?  Son, we need to talk...

> I've been with Earthlink for 5 1/2 years and moved to Atlanta
> because of a transfer to here from Pasadena, CA. I must say that I
> like it here much better than Pasadena. :)

Welcome again.  Have you ever seen snow?  How about the Rose Bowl?  The
game, not the building.

> In closing, I'm looking forward to the meetings, and the chance to
> meet more people who are interested in Linux.

Glad to catch your post.  Hope to catch you at a meeting soon.

--
Until later, Geoffrey