[ale] Dynamic DNS

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Mon Nov 29 22:21:34 EST 2004

I would like to set up dynamic DNS.  I run my own DNS server for jayloden.com
right now, and what I would like to do is find a way to set up a cron script
on a couple of cable/dsl machines to, once an hour, fire off a script that
somehow tells my jayloden.com server where they are and to update the dns
accordingly.  (I have, for example, my mom's computer hooked in as
mom.jayloden.com so I can ssh in to fix stuff, etc).

Right now, I use http://freedns.afraid.org 's system.  They have a url that
you can grab with wget and it auto-updates the dns for the domain, and I just
have a CNAME pointing to the afraid.org address.

I would like to script it so I dont need afraid.org in the middle of this.
Anyone have a suggestion how?  I was thinking that since I've been playing
with pexpect, I might be able to use it to do some ssh scripting.  I would
like to avoid a web front-end and do something through ssh or scp, or
something a  little more secure than making a php/apache setup for this.
However, all suggestions or ideas are welcome.

I have total access to all the machines in question, so I can do crontabs,
etc...anything I need to accomplish this neatly.

-Jay