[ale] failover planning

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Mon Nov 29 21:00:32 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 20:34, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I've tried this before with simple configuration of two nics simply
> using ifconfig.  But I was never convinced that packets destined for 2.5
> was not scooped up by the first nic on 2.4

When I transitioned from cable to dsl I had such a setup.
The problem was that BOTH nics would reply to broadcasted ARP request
for either of the IPs with their own Ethernet address.
This caused packets to arrive at the wrong interface where they were
blocked by a firewall. (This was an old hacked up 2.2.16? kernel)